Being a designer is the ambition of many children. Given the proliferation of technology in our everyday lives, it’s not surprising that many choose to tread this path.
From social media and animated movies to mobile games and apps, children are exposed to design in every facet of their lives these days. The inspiration to be a designer can come from any place. As a dutiful parent, it’s your job to make them realize their ambitions and help them find out whether designing is really apt for them.
Unlike science and maths, which are the prerequisites for getting into engineering or medicine fields, designing is mostly a creative venture. It cannot be quantified by raw knowledge or the marks you score in any given subject.
The first step to help your kid become a designer is to identify whether they’re really interested in design.
So, how exactly do you go about doing that?
It’s simple. You notice whether they like drawing or building things and are inclined towards solving problems. Once you’ve got that down, it’s time to encourage your kid to embrace design. Just like with any other skill, it must be honed and perfected through practice. This is where you can play an important role.
Here are a few tips for you:
1.Teach them how to draw
Drawing is one of the most essential skills to be a designer. Unfortunately, most kids, even those who’re interested in drawing, never move past their first attempt. That’s ‘cause it may seem difficult initially.
Luckily, there are many amazing things that can be drawn very easily. And there are numerous online tutorials to teach the same. With your help and support, your kid will learn how to draw basic shapes and objects in no time.
2. Give them more freedom to explore
Don’t pressure your kid to be a designer. Give him/her the freedom to explore the field on their own terms. If they’re happy just colouring and painting, let them be. Some kids may prefer playing with Legos. That’s OK too.
Creativity has no bounds. As long as your kid is creating stuff – no matter what – they’re being creative. Your responsibility as a parent and as a teacher is to play a supportive role. Be their anchor!
3. Inspire them to learn
Provide your kid with subtle inspirations in their environment. Maybe you can leave comic books lying around your house and see whether he/she likes to read it. Sketching and colouring books are a good idea too.
Or you can try watching an inspiring documentary with them. Even visiting a zoo, museum or planetarium is inspiring for kids. The choices are aplenty.
However, inspiration without the right tools is a dud. Kids also need access to good pens, pencils, books and any other instruments to channel their creativity. Give them that. Though, don’t go overboard with them.
4. Lead by examples
Don’t just order them to draw something. One of the major reason so many kids hate studying is that they are forced excessively to do so. Lead by example, teach them how to recreate their imagination on paper, teach them the importance of communication via art.
5. Design schools
Every parent is able to invite some level of creativity in their child. But, in case you have reached your limit or are unable to organise their learning process, do consider enrolling them in a good design school. Enrollment can be done either offline or online, depending on how your child feels comfortable.
If your child is comfortable with learning online “Launchpad Academy” offers counselling and some of the best courses in the country. Also, it’s one of the few institutes that network with some of the best-known designers in the country.
6. Show them “what could be” and teach them “how to”
Show them what could be achieved if they learn to design their ideas on paper and teach them how to do it. Show them what has been created by the designers in the world around us, and how they have impacted our lives.
Only when your kid knows the what, why and how of designing, will you be able to make them willingly take up the subject.
7. Make it a habit
Persistence is the key to achieve anything that you desire. Kids learn by repetition, hence keep reminding them to practice until it becomes there habit. Just like good handwriting, a good design can only come from someone who practices enough.
6 design talents will be selected to work, for 6 months, in an existing Renault Design Studio. At the end of internship program, Job offers will be made to 1 or 2 participants.
Renault Design always has had a close to Design school students.
RENAULT has been sponsoring projects or doing workshops about Car Design & Design Management and encouraging design talent.
With the Design Academy , Renault had decided to go one step to train young talents, select the best and put them together in one of our foreign Design Studio under the mentorship of their top designers .
There will be several project briefings and meetings and presentation to top management
Renault will give a project, based on which a final offer will be made to the best candidate.
All finalists will get a certificate and the two best ones will receiva permanent real designer job offer.
About the Renault Design Academy
The Design Academy project was organized by Renault Design and developed under the lead of Project Director Patrick Lecharpy (VP Advanced Design and Head of Renault Design India studios) and Project Manager Luciano Bove, (Design Academy Head of Program and Advanced Design Manager).
Design Academy will accept applications from any ex design school student (undergraduate & postgraduate).
However; candidates must have no more than 2 years after their graduation day, candidates have never worked before, candidates who might have had already one or more internships.
Candidates must have a high comprehension & written level of the English language
Candidates must send their CV + Portfolio in PDF light format (no more than 4MB) via the website .
Selected candidates will be contacted by Renault as soon as possible.
Candidates must have a valid Passport
The Design Academy will be held at Renault Design Studio in Chennai India.
This is a wonderful opportunity for Launchpad Students to especially those with a postgraduate degree to work with Renault and we encourage each and every one of our students in the car design program to apply to this.The key skills to focus is car sketching skills. Please contact if you need any help in applying to the program.
The popularity of interior design in India is such that it’s no longer a choice of luxury but has evolved to become a necessary amenity. Increased standard of living and a growing concern for shrinking living spaces have made interior design more significant than ever. Correspondingly, the number of students who are considering interior design as their future career option is also very high today. If you are one of them, here’s a list of the top interior design companies in India who are on the lookout for fresh and creative interior designers.
But before we begin to list the top 5 companies where you could pursue your interior design career, here are a few facts about interior design to blow your mind!
High Demand: Currently India needs more than 100000 interior designers to work in various architectural and real estate firms, event management companies, healthcare and retail industry, hospitality, furniture companies and more.
Less Designers: However, this enormous demand for interior designers is heavily undersupplied as there are very few students who are taking up interior design as a career and very few interior designers who are capable of meeting the industry standards and satisfying all their clients, each with a different mindset and taste.
Tremendous Growth: The interior design industry which once was considered as a sub domain of architecture has evolved to become a fully-fledged, established profession today. Along with the existing high demand, the industry also has a tremendous growth rate of 20%, which is expected to continue until 2018.
Lucrative Pay: An entry level interior designer in India starts with a median salary of 4 lakh per annum and a senior interior designer makes up to 30 lakh per annum! You could be hired by interior design and architectural firms, by construction companies as an in-house interior designer, by furniture manufacturers or event managers.
With growing experience and demand, you could have your own interior design firm, be a consultant to high-end projects and also freelance in the sideline to supplement your finances. Now that you know why interior design is one of the best career choices in India, here’s the list of the top 5 interior design/furniture companies who want to hire people like you!
1. Homelane Homelane is a budding startup based in Bangalore that provides technology led interior design solutions which are clean, quick and customizable; also specializing in modular and fixed furniture. Homelane drew a lot attention in a short span of 8 months since its inception to include big names like Sequoia Capital, Aarin Capital and the Ganeshes as its investors. Homelane is looking for more than 10,000 interior designers from around the country to match its growth rate, which is over 100%!
2. Urban Ladder Urban Ladder is another home setup startup that hails from Bangalore, specializing in online sales of furniture and other home-décor services. Citing the importance of e-commerce in the future and Urban Ladder’s vision and growth in the e-tailer industry, many venture capital firms have invested in Urban Ladder, including Ratan Tata who made a personal investment in the company. Urban Ladder has many interior designer careers open under its wing.
3. Bonito Designs Again from Bangalore, Bonito Designs is a well-established interior design company started and managed by a bunch of people who are probably in their 20s! Bonito Designs offers many interior design services including planning & design, visualization and consultancy. The company is also featured on the popular interior design website Houzz.com and is looking for interior designers who can learn quickly and tell stories through their designs.
4. Livspace Livspace is located in Bangalore and is one of India’s leading shopping destination for home décor and design. Livspace offers interior design and home décor solutions to customers through their award winning designers or allows customers to customize the design by themselves through their interactive website. Operating with a browse and shop approach, Livspace is looking for many interior designers and furniture designers.
5. Inch Based in Bangalore, Inch delivers world class wardrobe, bedroom and kitchen interiors. Inch specializes in modern and contemporary sofas, storage furniture, room designs, beds and more. Affiliated with Launchpad Academy, Inch is looking for promising interior designers and furniture designers. Those students who successfully complete our ‘Interior Design Course’ will be offered internships and job opportunities in Inch.
Love decorating houses? Want to be a professional Interior Designer? If yes, then we might have the course tailor-made for you! Join our ‘Diploma in Interior Design‘ online course today!