We are Happy to introduce and welcome our new mentor to Launchpad Academy.
Arun is a passionate creative with varied interest ranging from Car Design , Design Sketching , Motor Sports, Travel and Adventure . He is graduate of MIT Institute of Design and has a post graduate degree in Transportation Design from Istituto Europeo di Design(IED), Turin. Arun had also interned and worked at companies like Mahindra , Elixi apart from running his own Design Studio.
Arun has participated in many international design contests and his work has got wide spread coverage in International media. He is skilled in freehand sketching, Marker rendering, Photoshop/ALIAS and he also likes to build stuff using Clay,MDF and wood. At Launchpad Arun will be creating content and delivering online and classroom courses as well as workshops all over the world. Please keep following our page for more updates on this . Meanwhile some of Arun’s work is displayed below.
P. S : We are launching a new classroom course in Bangalore with Arun, If you are interested, please leave a comment with your contact details or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
6 design talents will be selected to work, for 6 months, in an existing Renault Design Studio. At the end of internship program, Job offers will be made to 1 or 2 participants.
Renault Design always has had a close to Design school students.
RENAULT has been sponsoring projects or doing workshops about Car Design & Design Management and encouraging design talent.
With the Design Academy , Renault had decided to go one step to train young talents, select the best and put them together in one of our foreign Design Studio under the mentorship of their top designers .
There will be several project briefings and meetings and presentation to top management
Renault will give a project, based on which a final offer will be made to the best candidate.
All finalists will get a certificate and the two best ones will receiva permanent real designer job offer.
About the Renault Design Academy
The Design Academy project was organized by Renault Design and developed under the lead of Project Director Patrick Lecharpy (VP Advanced Design and Head of Renault Design India studios) and Project Manager Luciano Bove, (Design Academy Head of Program and Advanced Design Manager).
Design Academy will accept applications from any ex design school student (undergraduate & postgraduate).
However; candidates must have no more than 2 years after their graduation day, candidates have never worked before, candidates who might have had already one or more internships.
Candidates must have a high comprehension & written level of the English language
Candidates must send their CV + Portfolio in PDF light format (no more than 4MB) via the website .
Selected candidates will be contacted by Renault as soon as possible.
Candidates must have a valid Passport
The Design Academy will be held at Renault Design Studio in Chennai India.
This is a wonderful opportunity for Launchpad Students to especially those with a postgraduate degree to work with Renault and we encourage each and every one of our students in the car design program to apply to this.The key skills to focus is car sketching skills. Please contact if you need any help in applying to the program.
Meet Muqeet Arsh, a Mechanical Engineering graduate from AMC College of Engineering, Bangalore, who got admitted into Masters in Transportation & Car Design course at Scuola Politecnica di Design, Italy, after doing his Diploma in Car Design from Launchpad Academy. He is currently pursuing his second year . He kindly agreed to meet couple of our students and talk to us about his experiences. With two years of work experience at Mahindra under his belt, Muqeet was all set to take the next grand step in his career. His eyes were all set on being an automobile designer. Having no background with design, he opted to hone his design skills before applying for a master’s degree at a foreign university. That’s when he enrolled himself in Launchpad’s Diploma in Car Design course.
visit to ferrari
In a live session with Launchpad Alumni, Muqeet shared his experience on how Launchpad helped him realize his dream. Here are some of his excerpts and learnings from the session. Joining Launchpad’s Diploma in Car Design Course
“I did my Mechanical Engineering from AMC College. After that I joined Launchpad Academy. This helped me a lot to focus where exactly I wanted to be. They guided me how exactly to apply to colleges and which all colleges are open to apply.” Learning How to Sketch
Sketching is one of the most essential skills to get into a design course at any prestigious university. Being from an engineering background, Muqeet realized that he had to learn how to sketch freely and own this skill. “I used to sketch but I didn’t know how to get into this field.”. Launchpad’s sketching and design course helped him hone his skills and get admitted to SPD, Italy.
Building a Strong Portfolio “When I started, my portfolio was really bad. It was basically a word document with all my sketches. You can start with anyhow you want depending on how your skill level is.” Your portfolio needn’t be anything fancy. Just include a collection of your best work. Focus on free hand sketches and showcase any other creative pursuits you may have such as drawing, painting or even clay modelling.
Why Join a University?
You will get to know what you really want to do. They’ll help you hone your skills right and get to the next level. The industry demands certain skills and traits from the designers, and the university prepares you to gel perfectly with it. Getting Admitted is Only the Beginning
The SPD admission process consists of an online application process followed by a skype interview, wherein you’re given a live sketching assignment. It’s that simple really, provided you’re already prepared. The course which Muqeet opted for at SPD is in English. No GRE score or TOEFL certificate was required to qualify for an admission. About the Course As with any design course, it’s extremely rigorous and tough. Classes are short, but most of the time is spent completing assignments and projects. You’ll hardly find time for any other activities, except on weekends. The course is divided into two years. The first year is compulsory for students from non-design background. On completion of the first year, every student gets a 1-year post graduation certificate. Only those who score more than 8.5 GPA in their first year get into the second year to earn their master’s degree. “Out of 12 students from my class just 4 of us made it to the second year.” The course fee is roughly INR 20 Lakhs and the living cost is around 1000 Euro a month in Italy. Learning from Industry Experts The professors at SPD are all industry experts and come from some of the top design studios and automotive companies in the world. One of the professors is working for Alfa Romeo. Another was one of the designers for Niki Lauda’s Ferrari car. Learning from such experienced professionals was truly an amazing experience for him.
SPD is affiliated with Volkswagen Group, an automobile conglomerate with many companies under their belt. As a result, students get a chance to do projects at leading automobile firms such as Alfa Romeo to Lamborghini. “My first year we worked with Alfa Romeo and Fiat. My second year as soon as I’ll be joining we’ll start with live projects from Lamborghini, Audi and Ducati.” Why Italy and not US or Germany? “As far as design is concerned I think Italy is the best place to learn, because it is known as the design capital of the world. They’re the oldest and one of the most famous designers in the world. They’re very precise, they know what they want and how they want it to be in the future.” Being the home of iconic car brands like Ferrari and Alfa Romeo, Italy has been very influential in car design. We cannot argue with him here.
Joining Launchpad’s course helped Muqeet grab a seat at one of the most prestigious design universities in the world. If you love cars and are interested in designing them, our Diploma in Car Design course is the perfect choice for you to get started on your journey towards becoming a car designer.
Dilip Chabria is probably India’s most well known automobile designer . In this article we reveal his life story and hope it inspires you to follow your passion for car design .
DC’s as Dilip Chabria is known , love for cars started with his fascination for doodling them on every surface at his home. Armed with a commerce degree and with no idea on what to do with his future was when he chanced upon an advertisement that said-“Do you want to be a car designer?” A surprised Dilip Chabria (DC) realized that his hobby could culminate into a career too. He applied to the Automotive Design Arts Center in California where he majored in transportation design. He cut short his stint with General Motors as a car designer because of the red tape associated with working in huge corporations. The same Dilip goes on to become the automobile style guru and founder of DC designs whose repertoire includes designing expensive cars, executive jets, helicopters, designing yachts and making India’s first sports car, DC Avanti.
Dilip Chabria’s father ran an electronic manufacturing business where he was given a little space and an ultimatum of one month to do whatever he wants to. With a team of 3 on the design venture, he makes an indigenous design of a horn in the shape of a ring for Premier Padmini in the replacement market. Selling each of the piece at 40 rupees apiece when the making charges were only eight rupees meant that his hobby could be successful as a provider of bread and butter. He ended up making more money in the 1 month than his dad made in the whole year. In a wise move, his dad gave him the entire factory.
He designed his Gypsy in 1992 and vowed to give his all for the design because it was being done for him, it had the desired impact, people everywhere thronged to look at his now remodeled car. He sold the car to invest in his business. For a brief period, he had signed an exclusivity deal with Mahindra where he worked on the Armada and other concepts that later led to the creation of Scorpio. A non-conformist that he was, he quit being a part of the deal to concentrate working on any car that he is fascinated with.
Not only does Dilip Chabria indulge in designing cars for India’s uber rich, he has the distinction of making the first prototype for the Aston Martin Vanquish that appeared in James Bond’s Die Another Day. His website describes him as someone with the sensibility of an artist and the mind of an engineer.
He believes that the toughest car to customize would be the Porsche 911 as he opines that it is difficult to alter something with a design as perfect as that. Dilip Chabria is quite the painter too, a hobby which he indulges in on Sundays. Also known to sculpt, he has a full-fledged studio in his factory where he uses the same materials as in his cars to make sculptures like plastic, acrylic, fiber glass and steel. These are then displayed in his showrooms in Mumbai, Pune and Delhi. In his own words-“Those who can’t afford to customize or buy my car can have a piece of DC design through my art work”.
Dilip’s DYPDC Center for Automotive Research and Studies offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programs in automobile styling which is based in Pune. In fact, before the end of the program, students are supposed to build an automobile to get their degrees.
In a list of glowing achievements that would trump most achievers, he has created India’s first sports car, DC Avanti. Chhabria reckons that this is the first Made-in-India sports car and was created with today’s youngsters in mind. The commercial launch was done from its dealership Aadivenoo Motors in Pune. Each piece of beauty was priced at 35.93 lakh rupees, available in three standard colors of red, white and silver, in addition to any customized color choice. This is the first time Dilip’s company has ventured into manufacturing segment of the automobile industry. Despite a slowdown in the automobile segment, Dilip’s DC Design would never go out of work because it caters to a niche market where money is nary a matter.
Not only would DC design 25 foot limousines, but they have also come up with design enhancer kits for small cars such as Tata Nano and other models like Maruti Swift, Toyota Innova and Honda City. The cost for the same would be around 50,000 to 150,000 rupees. These customization kits are shipped to Carnation Auto, a company founder by former MD of Maruti Suzuki
The services that are offered at DC designs are the following:
Styling: Vehicles, Aviation and CAS.
Show car & Prototype Build.
Customized and Armored Vehicles Builds.
Special Purpose Vehicles Builds.
The Dilip Chhabria Design Private Limited is credited with more than 600 designs boasting of an employee strength of 300.
Dilip Chhabria has made his passion grow to a stage where his company is the largest auto accessory manufacturer in the country. Catering to the needs of B2B and B2C firms and individual clients by providing innovative automobile design solutions, DC makes this happen through system integration, automobile styling and knowledge of the craft. The end result is an amalgamation of pure unadulterated automobile lust and genius on display. Dilip’s company has put India on the global map of automobile design. DC’s products bear a striking resemblance to its creator’s work ethics in terms of its design, finish and fulfilling requirements of a client.
Everything is online today and online is everything in the future! The advent of internet has changed our modern lives and is on the brink of shaping an entire century to come! India is no stranger to this Internet revolution and issues like ‘Net Neutrality’, ‘Digital India’ and ‘Internet.org’ have awakened the average Indian who is about to go ‘Digital’! ‘Online Courses/Distant Education’ is one of the by-products of this Internet Revolution and online courses in India have already attracted a great number of young and enthusiastic learners across the nation.
Launchpad Academy itself, an online design institute, offers its Car Design and Interior Design courses through an online platform. So we decided to share our views on ‘Online Education in India’ and list out 5 reasons why students should take up online courses in India, especially design courses like Web Design, Car Design, Interior Design and UI/UX Design.
1. All Is ‘Not’ Well with Colleges and Universities According to surveys and studies conducted on the internet using crowd, scientists and psychologists have come to the conclusion that most people prefer online courses compared to regular college courses once they are introduced to an online course. Online education sites like Lynda, Coursera and Udemy and universities like Stanford and Harvard are offering verified, industry recommended and credit-transferable online courses, initiating the era of online education. According to Jonathan Ive, Apple’s Chief of Design, ‘Design education offered by popular design schools are in a tragic state today. These schools are wasting years on only teaching fundamentals, theories and are failing to offer industry exposure and practicality in their degrees’. Online courses on the contrary are more practical and aim at making students industry ready!
The Begin of Online Universties
2. Online Courses are Job/Internship oriented Continuing the above point, online courses unlike college degrees are making students industry ready by designing course curriculums and structures which are job/internship oriented. Also, distant education courses ditch the old ‘grading system’ to evaluate a student and instead focus on traits like skills and problem solving capabilities. Design is a field that changes every day and a field that expects its fresher candidates to focus on industry related problems, understand the modern trends and foresee the future, instead of just being good with sketching and design skills. Working in this regard, online educators are offering many job and internship opportunities to their students more used to the industry and its ways.
3. Online Courses are more Flexible, Accessible and Personal Online courses in India and elsewhere have three distinct characteristics that make them better than regular classroom courses. Online education is more flexible when compared to the traditional ways of Indian education. Students can have access to the course material 24×7, re-play the live sessions any time they are convenient with for future reference and research. Also, the trainers of these online courses try to maintain a friendly approach with their students to make the whole online experience more transparent, easy to follow and interactive. Individual attention is in fact higher in online courses and students can keep in touch with the faculty for guidance even after the completion of these courses.
Advantages of Online Courses
4. You don’t have to go anywhere! This is one of the most fundamental features of distant education, you don’t have to attend classroom sessions. You don’t have to travel to places or totally uproot your location in order to pursue a course. For example, most of our DiCD online course students don’t reside in Bangalore and come from places like Chennai, Hyderabad and even Uganda! However, through our online courses those students were able to access the only course of this kind in India, without coming to Bangalore. Students can take up any number of online courses from the convenience of their home and cut down on expenses like travel, relocation and accommodation.
5. You don’t have to give up anything! If you are to pursue a regular classroom course, you are bound to give up all other activities and dedicate a part of your day exclusively for the course. Working professionals who are willing to learn further often find this restriction very discouraging and give up on their wish to learn more. Online courses are an excellent alternative to people like this who cannot give up their jobs or students who are still completing their degree or even housewives who want to put their free time into good use. Online courses offer the convenience of ‘Anytime, Anywhere’, thus giving the learner the freedom to choose his/her study time table and place to learn.
Learn From Home Anytime
Love Cars? Interested in Car Design? We have a course just right to fuel your interests! Learn more about our Diploma in Car Design online course!