Attention all 10+2 students! The wait is finally over. You don’t have to be disappointed that there’s no Bachelor of Design (B.Des) in IIT Bombay anymore! One of the best design schools in India, IDC IIT Bombay has finally added a four year B.Des programme and a five year dual degree (B.Des + M.Des) programme to its much respected and much valued design courses. This makes IIT Bombay the only other IIT to offer a B.Des degree for undergraduates other than IIT Guwahati.
The first B.Des course in IIT Bombay will be commencing from this year i.e. 2015 and your performance in the Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design (UCEED) will decide your entry into this prestigious institution. Like CEED (India’s most regarded design entrance exam for PG design courses), UCEED will also be conducted by IIT Bombay. Launchpad Academy learned about this recent development at the earliest and went through the UCEED brochure thoroughly. Here’s everything you need to know about B.Des in IIT Bombay and the UCEED entrance exam as per the UCEED brochure released by the institution.
There are three main eligibility criteria to appear for UCEED. Since B.Des in IIT Bombay is a bachelor’s degree offered for undergraduates, along with the number of attempts one takes to clear UCEED, age and educational qualification are also taken into consideration.
• Age Limit: A candidate belonging to General or OBC-NCL category should have been born on or after October 1, 1995 and October 1, 1990 if belonging to the SC, ST and PwD categories.
• Number of Attempts: A candidate can attend UCEED for a maximum of two consecutive years and since the entrance exam is the first of its kind, the maximum number of attempts for UCEED 2015 is one.
• Class XII (or Equivalent) Examination: The candidate should have passed the 2014 Class XII or equivalent exam or passed/appeared in the 2015 Class XII or equivalent exam. Those who appeared for the first time in their Class XII (or equivalent) examination in 2013 or earlier are not eligible.
• The registration for UCEED is completely online and can be done on UCEED’s online portal http://uceed.iitb.ac.in.
• Applicants must satisfy all of the above mentioned eligibility criteria and the application cannot be withdrawn after registration is completed.
• Online registration begins from April 10, 2015 and ends on April 25, 2015.
• The registration fees is Rs.2000 for all General/OCC-NCL male candidates and Rs.1000 for all SC/ST/PwD male candidates. Irrespective of the category, all female candidates must pay Rs.1000 as registration fees.
Documents Required for Registration
The following is a list of documents required to complete the UCEED registration process.
• A color photograph of the candidate with a clear full frontal view of the face.
• Class X certificate if the birth certificate is mentioned in it or birth certificate.
• Class XII certificate for those who appeared for board exams in 2014 and a scanned copy of admit card for those who are appearing/appeared in 2015.
• Scanned copies of the candidate’s full signature and left thumb impression.
• Concerned category documents for those belonging to SC, ST, PwD and other reserved categories.
• Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design (UCEED) is a computer based test and comprises of a total of 100 questions, accounting to a total of 300 marks.
• The examination duration is for a total duration of three hours and the medium of instruction is English.
• The question paper consists of Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), Multiple Selection Questions (MSQ) and numerical answer type questions. Negative marking is included.
• All the questions are based following six design related topics
1. Visualization and Spatial Ability
2. Observation and Design Sensitivity
3. Environmental and Social Awareness
4. Analytical and Logical Reasoning
5. Language and Creativity
6. Design Thinking and Problem Solving
• The first ever UCEED exam i.e. UCEED 2015 will be conducted on May 31st, 2015 and the admit card will be made available for download from 18th to 28th May, 2015.
• The candidate must carry a printed copy of the admit card to the examination center and any kind of electronic device (including mobile phones, calculators etc.), abacus, slide rule, log book, geometry box and study material of any kind are strictly prohibited.
• UCEED 2015 will be conducted in the following 9 cities- Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, and Pune.
• UCEED 2015 results will be announced online on 10th June, 2015 and individual ranks will not be sent to the candidates. A candidate should have attend both Part A and Part B to be qualified for ranking.
• Only those candidates who have the minimum required marks in each of the six categories and the required aggregate will be included in the merit list.
• This year’s admissions for B.Des in IIT Bombay are based on UCEED 2015 merit list prepared by UCEED Admissions Committee 2015.
|Online Registration||10/04/2015 to 25/04/2015|
|Admit Card Downloading||18/05/2014 to 28/05/2014|
UCEED 2015 – A Career Guide
Here is an exclusive Career Guide from Launchpad Academy to help you with UCEED preparation and UCEED training. The article also covers the scope of B.Des in IIT Bombay and explains why Design is a unique career option as opposed to engineering and other technical courses.
Interested in Car Design?
We have a course just right to fuel your interests! Learn more about our Diploma in Car Design online course!